I’ve been a full time artist since 1995, when my partner Jackie Hurlbert (*) and I gathered up our courage and exchanged the security of paychecks for the uncertainty of making our living as artists. It has turned out to be a rewarding adventure!
Fluent in several mediums, I’m currently focusing on acrylic portraiture.
I’ve come to the conclusion after years of observation that for me technique is only 3% of the equation … and the relatively easy part. The other 97% is learning to get out of my own way internally and let things flow.
Portraiture is a good middle ground for me, where my left brain can say “that’s right” when I achieve a likeness, and my right brain can say “oh yeah baby” when a freshly painted “real live person” jumps right out of the paint!
It’s so rewarding to capture someone’s “whole person” in a truly unique way.
“When you start to see your art as a service to others, and you begin to believe in the societal aspects of it, you begin to thrive. It is a benefit for others to invest in the character you have nurtured and developed. Your world can be larger than the worlds of others, because you exact standards from yourself that others may not reach for or care to grasp. Our world is a privilege, an opportunity and an obligation.”
— Robert Genn, Canadian artist and author of the Twice Weekly Letter for artists which I highly recommend. Used by permission.